Important legislation and useful links

Rooming House Operators Act 2016

A new rooming house operators licensing scheme, established under the Rooming House Operators Act 2016, came into effect on 26 April 2017. All existing rooming house operators (except those that are registered housing associations or housing providers) must apply for a license by 24 August 2017 in order to continue to legally operate their rooming house(s).

A summary of information from the Consumer Affairs Victoria's website is available from the following link. Key Information on the new licensing scheme are available in the Rooming House Operators section on CAVs' website.

Information is available on CAV's website in English, Arabic, Simplified Chinese and Vietnamese.

Your legal obligations in running a rooming house

RAAV has produced a new brochure which summarises the legal obligations of a rooming house operator. The brochure, "Running a better rooming house: Your legal obligations" will assist operators to manage their rooming house more effectively.

The contents include information about:

  • The rooming house operators licensing scheme,
  • who are residents, tenants and operators,
  • minimum standards in rooming houses,
  • keeping records, rights and duties of residents,
  • charging a bond and a condition report,
  • rent considerations,
  • repairs and maintenance,
  • house rules,
  • other important information.

Print copies of the legal obligations brochure are available by contacting RAAV. Translations of the brochure are also available from the link in Simple Chinese, Vietnamese and Arabic languages.

You can download copies in English and the six languages by using these links:

RAAV recommends that the brochure should be read in conjunction with the third edition of "Running a better rooming house: A best practice handbook" which is available in hard copy or by using this link.

Legislation for Minimum Standards for Rooming Houses

In order to determine that you are operating a legal rooming house, you need to make sure that you are complying with 4 main areas. The minimum standards for rooming houses in Victoria are governed by the following legislation:

The minimum standards for rooming houses in Victoria are governed by the following legislation:

  • Residential Tenancies Act 1997
  • Residential Tenancies and other Consumer Acts Amendment Bill 2012
  • Building Regulations 2006
  • Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009.

An outline of the legislative requirements placed on rooming house operations is contained in Consumer Affairs Victoria's new 'Rooming houses: a guide for residents and operators'.

This publication contains:

  • Rooming house basics
  • Minimum standards in rooming houses
  • When a resident moves in
  • During a resident's stay
  • When a resident is leaving
  • After a resident has left
  • Solving disputes
  • Closing down a rooming house
  • Useful contacts
  • Checklist for residents
  • Check list for operators
  • Possible land tax exemptions
  • Building safety standards
  • Fire safety
  • Signs and lighting
  • Health and hygiene standards
  • Conditions in the rooming house
  • Keeping a register
  • Advertising the rooming house
  • Inspections

New Minimum Rooming House Standards

New minimum rooming house standards were introduced in 2013 and these are summarised in the attached brochure. The new standards focus on increased safety issues and address wellbeing requirements for rooming houses.

Click here to view....

Latest News :
Our Supporters :

  • Consumer Affairs Victoria
  • Metropolitan Fire and Emergency
    Services Board
  • Melbourne Metropolitan Rooming
    House Group