Running a Better Rooming House: A best practice handbook for operators
RAAV has produced a fourth edition of the rooming house Best Practice Handbook which was distributed to all RAAV members. It is also available on line in the Members section of this website or by requesting a copy from RAAV.
Key rooming house operators and stakeholders have contributed to this new edition which includes special material on student accommodation, fire safety, dealing with mental illness, crime in rooming houses, as well as additional information on the existing material.
The Handbook has been welcomed as an easy-to-read 36 page publication which provides information and tips on operating a better rooming house.
The fourth edition of the Handbook contains the new Standards which were introduced in 2023 together with best practice tips for all the Standards. The Handbook also includes more information about health issues in rooming houses, safety and fire checks, international students in rooming houses, more about house rules, hoarding in rooming houses and tips from the police when dealing with aggressive behaviour.
The handbook also includes previous information about handling disputes, getting along with neighbours, the business of running a rooming house, developing a business plan (including a SWOT analysis), controlling maintenance costs and selecting and maintaining managers and residents.
The Handbook has been compiled from extensive research with rooming house operators and stakeholders and contains:
- Understanding rooming houses
- The business of running a rooming house
- Establishing a rooming house
- Rooming House Agreements
- Meeting your obligations
- Selecting and maintaining manager and residents
- Student accommodation in rooming houses
- Day to day management
- Handling disputes
- Helping residents access support services
- Useful contacts
The purpose of the Handbook is to:
- help you improve your rooming house operations
- encourage you to review your social and legal obligations
- raise standards within the private rooming house sector
- provide an incentive to increase the number of registered rooming houses in Victoria.